Get the form to reschedule your court date

About this form

This form has been created to help you ask the court to reschedule the date of your hearing at the Justice of the Peace Court.

You can use this form if you have a hearing date scheduled for any civil case, including a summary possession (eviction) case.

What is "continuance"?

If you want to reschedule your court date, you would ask the court to "continue" the hearing.

A "continuance request" is how you ask the court to reschedule your court date.

It is recommended that you file for the continuance as soon as you know you need a different court date.

Before you download the form, you can click here to view the form online.

How do I fill out this form?

Here are some things you will need to know and where you can find them:

  • Your case number (this is on the paperwork you receive from the Court)
  • Your court date (this is on the paperwork you receive from the Court)

How do I file the form?

You will not be charged a filing fee for filing this request.

Your case will be in one of the Justice of the Peace Courts (JP). The paperwork that you received from the Court will say the address of the Court that the hearing will be held, that is where you will file your request to have the hearing rescheduled.

  • Take the completed form and two copies with you to the courthouse to file.
  • Ask for one of the copies to be stamped with the date and time that you filed it, and keep that copy for yourself.

Court Hours & Locations

Use the following links to find court hours, locations, and contact information.

 Middletown Justice of the Peace Court 09 

 Wilmington Justice of the Peace Court 13 

 Dover Justice of the Peace Court 16 

 Georgetown Justice of the Peace Court 17 

To see a full list of courts, go to the Hours & Location page on Delaware Courts.

Back to top